I am really excited about this workshop – it’s taking the ‘Artful Science’ workshops I’ve been leading to a new level, by introducing and addressing the question of how to use drawing for professional work in sustainability design.
Please note: This is a late-breaking workshop, and is primarily for students at Chatham University. However, anyone in Pittsburgh, PA who is available and interested is welcome to join us.
Drawn to Science & Sustainability: a crash course in sketching and hand‐drafting tricks, tips, and techniques
Whether you are a trained scientist, a science educator, or a sustainability professional, you can enhance your work with a strong foundation in basic sketching techniques. This fast-paced, hands-on workshop will help you develop urban and/or nature sketching habits, visual note taking skills, and systems mapping tools. Join us as we look back at the historical connections between art and science and look forward to the usefulness of sketching for modern science and sustainability initiatives.
Bethann G. Merkle
artist, photojournalist, and science communicator http://www.commnatural.com
Molly Gail Mehling, M.En., Ph.D.
scientist, photojournalist, visual design junkie, and science communicator
WHEN: 10/28, 1:00 pm
WHERE: Center for Sustainable Landscapes; Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens; 700 Frank Curto Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
COST: Free!! Hosted by the Chatham University; Falk School of Sustainability
RSVP TO firstname.lastname@example.org; refreshments and light snacks will be provided.
*** Sketching journals (unlined) will be available for purchase at $5 each. We strongly recommend that you purchase one for use during the workshop; please bring cash. All other materials will be provided, but you are welcome to bring your own pens and markers (black, gray, and basic colors), pencils, block crayons, etc. ***
- 1-1:20 Introduction: VisuaL Literacy in Science and Sustainability; The History of the Art-Science Connection,
- 1:20-2:20 Sketching Tool Kit: Shapes and Mark Making; Arrows & Fonts; Basics of Visual Design and Composition; Contour Drawing; Tracing & Rubbing; People and Vegetation; Charley Harper Activity
- 2:20-3:00 Practicing with the Tool Kit: Outdoor Cross Section and Landscape Map
- 3:00-3:40 Application of Systems Sketching: Tell a Soil Story
- 3:40-4:00 Debrief and Discuss